ON BEING A MAKER

Some number of years ago (like, maybe one) I was reading a blog (how rare!) and it wasn't anything special. Then the words flew of the screen and hit me soundly and it was like I was finally able to vocalize something that I always knew existed, but couldn't find the words for.

In other words, I'm dramatic.

It was something along the lines of....

I AM NOT A MUSICIAN, BUT I MAKE MUSIC.
I AM NOT A PHOTOGRAPHER, BUT I TAKE PHOTOS
I AM NOT AN ARTIST, BUT I DRAW AND PAINT.
I AM NOT A WRITER, BUT I WRITE ALL THE SAME.

And to me, that is so perfect and so so true. I am a maker through and through. I make messes. I make people laugh. I make jokes (some epic, some equally not.) I make cakes and cookies and paper flowers and strum lame versions of over the rainbow.

I am a maker.

That alone changed my perspective on art and photography and napkin origami, everything! Because I realized that a perfectly honed skill isn't my goal. It's creating and getting messy and all that wonderful jazz.

So then, my art! You wonder where that puts me. Let me inform you, I'm somewhere in between happily dysfunctional / two year old let loose with crayons. Does that make any sense?
Here's to creating our best work, Whether you be an artist, a maker or a dedicated selfie taker.

"I found that I could say things with color 
and shapes that I couldn't say any other way - 
things I had no words for."

4 comments:

  1. uh selfie taker.? ;) you my friend are a creative talented one.! x

    ReplyDelete
  2. gah. this. is. perfect.
    i totally understand and relate to what you're saying. that is me.
    lovely photos to go along with this. you are so good.
    -Abigail

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love thisss. Seriously, it's too perfect!

    ReplyDelete

PS: I love your comments. And you. And for that matter, chocolate milk too.