SUNDAY MORNING IN SANTO DOMINGO

I attend like 4 different churches at home; I'm probably the only nondenominational, reformed-presbyterian, southern baptist you'll ever meet. So that being said, throwing a little spanish into the mix didn't mess up a thing. Besides understanding the entire service and everyone around me, but you know. Mere details!

KEEP READING FOR MORE OF OUR VERY SPANISH SUNDAY...




I mean, if you go on a mission trip and don't paint a church...are you actually on a mission trip?

 (I think not. )

We painted for a couple days so you can either conclude that a.) we are not very good at painting or b.) this trip was the real deal. I'm no Michelangelo but for a baptist church in Santo Domingo, I think we did okay. Hymns, that I didn't realize were in english for a good twenty minutes, permitted the courtyard and even though we were all a bit high on paint thinner, it was a heavenly moment.
We helped lead a little Sunday school class, more musically inclined members of our team sang in the main service and those with athletic aptitude played more rigorous games of scriptural sports at the park across the street.

( I was very happy coloring with Dominican 5 year olds. )

And then later we joined all the teens and I was called on twice. The first time I was interviewed by the pastor (#casual) and his favorite question was "How many husbands do you have?" (just a Netflix account, thank you very much) and then next my pal J.R picked me to be the one to act out the crucifixion in front of the whole congregation.

When in the Dominican, do as the Dominicans do?
And because we were really into the suffering for Jesus aspect of a mission trip, we went to the fanciest restaurant in Santo Domingo! But not before I photographed our (pink!!!) pesos. Jessica and I were really excited about the optimal selfie lighting in the bathroom....and the fact that it was like, a functional bathroom and all, since those were few and far between.

In short, I wouldn't mind if every Sunday began with the sweetness of little kids singing Jesus Loves You in Spanish and ended with a 5 star meal and a darn good pina-colada.
SaveSave

1 comment:

  1. Kryn, I always end up loving every single one of your blog posts. The way you write is very down to earth; it makes me smile!! I hope you write a novel one day :D

    ReplyDelete

PS: I love your comments. And you. And for that matter, chocolate milk too.