Sunset at the Shepard Inn


Have you ever been to West Texas? I'm just going to warn you, in case you ever find yourself there, that there seems to be a shortage of Sprint Cell coverage and hotels with wifi. It's beautiful and wild and there's a lot of barbecue restaurants, but be prepared for some forced unplugged time. (Which isn't bad! Just bring a book.

We stayed at the Shepherds Inn, an air&b out in the boonies...I mean Buffalo Gap, Texas! Unfortunately we didn't realize there was no cell coverage for us there, and unfortunately we didn't think to ask the  homeowner for the wifi password before we got there at midnight. I grew up in Montana, so normally no wifi isn't an issue for me but with orientation the following morning, I had some last minute info I needed to access. 

So what else is there to do but drive back into town and park in the McDonalds parking lot and mooch the free wifi till 2 in the morning. Ah, country living.
After we got back from orientation the next day, it had just stopped raining and I can't even explain it, but the light was warm and red in the most magical way I'd ever seen. Several deer were enjoying the wild grasses in the empty field across the street and the sun was setting behind the mountains. 

And I was ruining all the serenity by running around like a chicken with it's head cut off, trying to capture everything before the sun slipped away. 


(not an uncommon practice for me)

Even though our arrival to the Shepherds Inn was a little tumultuous, the following evening made up for it. The way the golden light spilled across the flowers and courtyards was beautiful....and the deer didn't hurt either ;) Last time I visited West Texas it was the dead of winter, but this time it was in full bloom and such a treat to see it in all it's Texan glory. After all, They say everything is better in Texas, and I'd have to agree.


(except where cell coverage is concerned!)

No comments:

Post a Comment

PS: I love your comments. And you. And for that matter, chocolate milk too.