KRYN GOES TO COLLEGE: THE UPDATE

I told her I was taking a gap year and her response wasn't quite what I expected.
"Enjoy your last year at home!" she said, "It's so special."

I laughed really hard. And then I cried.

But I cried a lot harder than I laughed.




I'll be honest, I started this semester with little to no enthusiasm. All my friends were headed off to various colleges in states far away; I was driving through the ghetto to a community college. They were going to be joining clubs and sororities and playing sports; If I wasn't studying, I'd be working. It wasn't that it was bad necessarily (AKA I was wallowing in my first world problems. 10/10 would not recommend.), just different from everyone else and from what I had envisioned.


I can't explain all the circumstances in my life because a.) it's impossible b.) that would take 30 years and c.) privacy/respect reasons, BUT I CAN SUM IT UP: THIS SEMESTER WAS DIFFICULT AND JUST WHAT I NEEDED.  It wasn't hard as far as the scholastic side goes, I studied hard and did well in all my classes (!!!) but the emotional and mental side was draining beyond belief. Again, I can't explain so I sound really whiny. But my pride wants you to now that my problems go well beyond something like the Barista spelling my name wrong.

THINGS ABOUT THIS SEMESTER:

1.) I realized that I enjoy learning. They say knowledge is power and for once in my life I actually think that might trump my life motto ("ignorance is bliss!") I loved learning about mitosis and meiosis. Transcription, Translation, Crossing over and independent orientated of homologous chromosomes, It's all fascinating.

2.) I encountered evolution in the classroom. This was hard for me. As a homeschooler and a christian, creation is not just a story, but truth to me. I've been raised in a Christian bubble, which was good but also not an accurate representation of the outside world. This year I popped the bubble. That was nice.

3.) French 1= DONE. . I've wanted to take French since the dawn of time (this is also the greatest and most awkward post on this blog...you're welcome! and taking it kind of made my childhood dreams come true...but I actually didn't love it as much as I hoped. Turns out that I'm no better at French than English, darn it!


Calm. Quiet. Content. 
That's what this semester was to me. The Lord always knows our needs before we do. I'm thankful that He gave me time and space away from the world to grow closer to Him. Because in the end, that's way more rewarding than joining any sorority or paying $40,000 a year for an education.

DID I MENTION MY COLLEGE WAS FREE?
Heck to the yes, amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

PS: I love your comments. And you. And for that matter, chocolate milk too.