TRAVEL MAKETH THOU MODEST

After a mad dash to the bathroom post landing on one of our latest flights, I was stuck in the back of the plane with an older woman and a flight attendant. The older woman began picking her finger nails, and the flight attendant and I struck up a conversation. About Italian pepperoni, the flight time to New Zeland and my obsession with Pinterest.

After talking a bit he asked (more like guessed) if I was a senior! To which I hastily said no and informed him that while technically a sophomore, I am still mentally 8. (Okay, so maybe I left out the last part. We are learning digression in 2nd grade!) He was surprised I was so young. Really? He probed. But you seem so mature! You must have traveled a lot.

And the thing about it is that that silly Delta flight attendant with the French wife and the childhood spent in Bahrain has it right. Because if it's one thing I've learned, travel does make you modest and mature (double m word! don't tell my mommy!). It shows you how small you are in this crazy big world. How insignificant you really are. And while I, OF COURSE, believe everyone is special, it's always good to see that you ain't the only special person on the earth.

As our year of nonstop travels comes to a close, I'm so so so so so (and so on) grateful for the opportunity I have been given. To see the world, take it in, and realize how small I am. My experiences (and by that I mean travels!) have shaped me, and I'm all the better for it. For now though, it's time to settle down and appreciate the beautiful place I live (and love.)

But like he said, travel makes you modest.

2 comments:

  1. I never thought about it that way. (wait, you're a sophomore.??)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so amazing, girlie!

    ReplyDelete

PS: I love your comments. And you. And for that matter, chocolate milk too.