a skin story (your fave)


I didn't begin washing my face daily until I was 18 years old. How is that for healthy skin habits?!

Growing up I was blessed with PERFECT skin. Like you guys, I don't even know how I got away with it. I ate cake and Cheetos all day long, never washed my face but somehow my skin was completely clear? My skin was proof that miracles exist.

Then I turned 18 and my life got super stressful and well, that was the end of that.

In the fall of 2016 it was getting pretty bad. Now granted, I'll never claim that it was as bad as someone with a serious skin condition but for me and my skin, it was pretty bad. I also wont go into detail about how it was bad, because that's ew. And you've had zits before too, so you know what I'm talking about.

Anyway, in January of this year I really began to focus on taking good care of my skin. I take good care of my computer and my purses and my clothes....but yet somehow continually ignored putting any effort into the largest organ in my body?

Logic....not my best subject.

Here are some of the changes I've made.

1.) SLEEP
This was huge for me. I can immediately tell a difference in my skin if I don't get enough sleep. After a fun weekend of late nights and early mornings, whew. My skin is the first place to check if you want to find out what time I went to bed last night. Prioritizing sleep has been incredible for me. I can easily run off of 4-5 hours. But I'm learning that even though that works, it isn't always best.

2.) CHANGING SHEETS
I try to wash my sheets/pillowcases at least once a week now. Good hygiene all around, but it's especially important considering that any dirt or bacteria on your pillow is probably going to end up on your face.

3.) WASHING MAKEUP BRUSHES
This previously always seemed really daunting to me (and also lets be honest: I mostly just used my fingers to apply makeup for 4 years!) but actually, washing them is so easy and oddly therapeutic? I just use dish soap and a towel and while it may not be the trendy way to clean them, it's cheap and get's the job done

4.) DRINKING WATER
The further I get with this post, the more I realize that these things I switched are actually very basic and you all have probably been doing them for years. Last year, I would go days without drinking a good old glass of water. I'd stay hydrated, per say, but not in a way that fueled my body well. Now days I generally drink 64 ounces a day. It's made a huge difference and my skin (and probably the rest of my body as well) is v grateful for the change.

What's your skin story? How do you help your skin be the best it can be?


No comments:

Post a Comment

PS: I love your comments. And you. And for that matter, chocolate milk too.